”In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move.” - Henry Rollins. If you’re like me, springtime inspires you to fling open the windows and clean out the cobwebs to get your home in tip-top shape.
Here are 3 home improvement tips for spring in Detroit to give your home a fresh start.
1. Perform A Spring Checkup For Energy Efficiency And Safety
Spring is a great time to check that your home’s systems are running properly for the the upcoming summer months. Here’s a list of some of the things you should inspect every spring in Detroit:
- HVAC System. Test your air conditioning system to ensure that it can handle the summer heat. Increase your HVAC system’s energy efficiency by swapping out your air conditioning and furnace filters. Some HVAC companies provide this service for a low fee.
- Smoke Detectors. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to keep your home and loved ones safe. Put new batteries in your alarms in the spring and in the fall.
- Caulking and Windows. Inspect the caulking around windows, doors, and kitchen and bathroom fixtures for holes or cracks. Repair the caulking as needed. Install window treatments, such as plantation shutters, to increase your window’s energy efficiency and temperature control. Open every window to ensure that they can move freely.
2. Deep Clean Your House So That It Shines
The best way to make your house shine is with a deep clean. First, declutter all of your rooms to open up the space. Then clean areas you don’t scrub every week including kitchen and bathroom walls, baseboards, floors, and ceiling fans. Shine your bathroom and kitchen fixtures. Vacuum your furniture, and clean under and behind it as well.
Bring in more natural light by cleaning your windows. Scrub your windows and screens to remove smudges and dust. Clean your window treatments including shutters, draperies, and shades. You can clean your blinds with an ultrasonic cleaning treatment.
3. Give Your Rooms a New Look By Redecorating
Now that you’ve cleaned your house and decluttered it, you’re ready for the fun part: redecorating.
The easiest way to redecorate is to use what you already have. Rearranging your furniture can give the room a whole new look. Or try shopping your house. This means you switch out the furniture and accessories you own between rooms. Bring in more color with colorful accessories, paint, and live plants.
If you’re ready to completely redo the look of a room, then check out our idea gallery for new ideas and inspiration. It’s packed with photos of stunning rooms and window treatments for all areas of your home. Once you’ve decided on colors and the style for your room, you can look for coordinating paint colors, furniture, and accent pieces.
An easy update for your rooms is to add window treatments that match your existing styles and brighten your rooms. You can choose from a variety of shutters including plantation shutters, barn door shutters, and reclaimed wood shutters in addition to blinds and shades.
Check Out More Design Tips
If you need even more ways to enhance your home, explore our design tips. And when you see a look and window treatment that you like, give us a call at 248-429-9294 or fill out the form below to set up a free in-home consultation. Our professionals will walk you through finding the right window treatment to give your room a beautiful new look this spring.