3 Home Maintenance Tips For Detroit Summers
In summer, your biggest concern should be about how many guests are coming to your deck party, and not how to fix a rotted deck or a busted appliance. Preventing problems before they happen is the key to summer home maintenance in Detroit. When you inspect and fix small issues, you can guard against larger, more expensive projects in the future. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that keep you in control of your home’s maintenance before larger problems happen.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is a great time in Detroit to increase your home’s energy efficiency in order to keep your home cool and lower your energy bills. Begin by checking your windows and doors for air leaks. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace brittle weatherstripping if you feel air coming through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace the cracked sections.
You can also reduce your utility bill by using an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and perhaps even qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters lower air transfer through the glass in your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which many homes currently use.
2. Brighten Up Your Patios And Decks
If you want to host parties on your patio or porch this summer, check that it’s in tip-top shape for your guests. First, check your deck or patio for safety. See if there are any boards, supports, or steps that need to be replaced because they’re soft and rotted. Then seal or stain your deck and patio to give it a new look and shield it from the summer sun and rain.
After you’ve replaced or repaired any damaged boards and areas and sealed your patio, it’s time for the fun part: dressing it up. Make your doors and windows adjacent to your deck and porch more interesting by using window treatments such as sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your sliding door or french doors. Then enhance your porch and patio with stylish patio furniture or a fire pit. The last step is to landscape the edges of your porch or patio to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Broken or leaky appliances can disrupt your fun summer plans. Here’s a few things to do to maintain your major appliances and keep them running smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils make your fridge work harder than necessary and raise your energy bill. It’s easy to unclog them by vacuuming them. Start by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to remove all the lint and dirt from the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any backed up water or leaks. Then deodorize and deep clean it by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. Finally, clean out the filter (located under the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any cracks, leaks, or bulges. If needed, replace the hoses. You should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent annually or have a professional do the job.
Have A Fun Summer
By maintaining your home and appliances, you’ll be able to have a pleasant summer. If you’re interested in giving your house a beautiful look this season with window treatments for your patios, dining rooms, or living rooms, check out our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 248-429-9294. We’ll show you samples of all your window treatment options in Detroit and do all the measuring, work, and installation so you can sit back and enjoy your summer.